简体中文EnglishFrançaisDeutschMagyarItalianoPortuguêsРусскийEspañol
Circus Ring of Fame Wheel Plaque

Cristiani Family

Inducted into the Ring of Fame: 1995

Circus Profession: Equestrianne/Bareback Riders/Show Owners

Born: 1840

Cristiani Family Circus Ring Of Fame Foundation inductees plaque

The Cristiani circus family can trace its roots back to 1840 when Emilio
Cristiani, a gymnast and bareback rider, joined a traveling circus in Pisa,
Italy. While performing in Brussels, Belgium in 1933, the troupe was
“discovered” by Pat Valdo of Ringling Bros. and Barnum
& Bailey. The family came to America in the spring of 1934, making an
appearance in Madison Square Garden, however because of a dispute
with the Loyal-Repenski riding act, the Cristianis were moved to the
Ringling-owned Hagenbeck-Wallace circus for the remainder of the 1934 season,
continuing with Hagenbeck-Wallace 4-Paw Sells in 1935. In 1936 the family
moved over to the Ringling-owned Al G. Barnes Circus where they introduced a
teeterboard act to their repetoire. They remained with the newly named Al G.
Barnes Sells-Floto circus through the 1937 season. The act moved to Ringling
Bros. and Barnum & Bailey in 1938, however the labor strike that cut
the season short that year had the family finishing out the season with
“Al G. Barnes and Sells-Floto Presenting Ringling Bros. and Barnum
& Bailey Stupendous New Features” for the remainder of the
season. In 1939, when this poster was used, they were back with Ringling Bros
and Barnum & Bailey where they continued to be a featured attraction
through the 1942 season. The act appeared in Robert Ringling’s
indoor circus at Madison Square Garden in 1943 prior to leaving the Ringling
organization and becoming circus owners themselves